Thursday, March 12, 2009

Grade School Memories






Judy and I are cousins, and are the same age, so you won't be surprised to know we were always in the same class in school. We went to Maple Grove Elementary School in Des Moines from Kindergarten to 4th grade but our moms wanted us to transfer to Catholic school in the 5th grade. Our parish did not have a school and the only one that would take students around the city was the Cathedral school, St. Ambrose. Therefore we were driven across town to school, a long way. We made friends we still see today. Barb Martin, Annette Farao, Jonann Larson,
and Mary Jo McManus

St. Ambrose was a very old school in a dusty old building in an older part of town. I remember old desks, hardwood floors, long hallways and noising radiators. The teacher's desk sat on a platform at the front of the room. We stood at our desks after being called on. Our teachers were the BVMs and wore long black habits, a gigantic rosary hanging from the belt, a large, white, square headdress and a very serious facial expression. Our favorite teacher was Sister Mary Jamesina, a large Irish woman with a great smile and heart to match. We couldn't wait until the seventh grade to be in her class. Unfortuanately, I was absent that year since my folks moved the family to Omaha to start a new business. I did get to visit the classroom once on a visit home, and we ended up moving back to Des Moines after that year so I was able to join my class the 8th grade.

We were a close-knit bunch for being in grade school. I found my first love there and so that was more reason to want to return. Chuck was the cutest guy...he looked like Tony Curtis! Our group was together a lot and Judy and I managed to get ourselves over to that neighborhood so we could partake in the fun. Many of these people are still in our lives. We actually had a grade school class reunion a few years ago. Aren't we lucky?
Dick Mecus and Chuck Scorpiniti


No comments: